Updated: Dec 27, 2022
These cupcakes are gluten-free and can also be easily made vegan 🌱
The cupcakes are soft and chewy like a brownie, and the peanut butter buttercream is a perfect companion to the chocolate base 😋 and they’re super easy to make!
This recipe makes roughly 10-12 cupcakes 🧁
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed & drained.
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
3/4 cup milk or plant-based milk
1/2 cup oats
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Splash vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
Peanut Butter Buttercream:
1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp or vegan butter
1/2 cup natural chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Little splash vanilla
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 & prepare a cupcake baking sheet with liners.
2. Add all cupcake ingredients into a high-speed blender (except for chocolate chunks) and blend on high speed until smooth.
3. Add chocolate chunks into the blender & pulse just enough to mix them into the batter.
4. Pour your batter into your cupcake liners.
5. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let the cupcakes rest in the pan for a few mins & then transfer to the cooling rack.
7. Once your cupcakes are cooled you can make your buttercream. Combine your butter and peanut butter in a stand mixer until creamy.
8. On low speed gradually add in your powdered sugar 1/4-1/3 cup at a time until combined. Ensure that you scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
9. Mix in vanilla & salt. Your buttercream should be a good piping consistency now, but if it seems a little too thick still you can add a very small amount of milk until it’s perfect.
10. Put your buttercream into a piping bag and pipe it onto your cupcakes.
11. Sprinkle some chopped peanuts on top if you desire.
12. Enjoy and share with your friends and family ☺️